Mississippi Moments

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sacer Simplicitas--"sacred simplicity"(Latin)

I've been reading Robert Fulghum's "From Beginning to End: The Rituals of Our Lives". Here is what I've found:

When my neighbor walks the dogs, he performs a ritual act of sacer simplicitas, to use the Church Latin:"sacred simplicity." Walking the dog is in truth a ritual of renewal and revival on an intimate scale--a small rebirth of well-being on a daily basis. p. 253
(Resonates with me)

And:
The rituals change when the forms of celebration no longer fit our yearnings to celebrate the realities of present circumstances. The rituals change when we reach for a more authentic expression of our deepest human experiences. What does notchange is the yearning.
This change is nothing new.
It has always be so, is so, and shall ever be so.
It is the nature of life itself, always forming and reforming.
It is neither right no wrong--it is the way it is.--p. 137

The Universe is teasing me. Been talked to about coming down to Mississippi and running the Montessori Center there. Been talked to this morning about coming to Tanzania and teaching English and French and just teaching, oh and right next door to an orphanage where it is "easy" to adopt if you are in-country resident. The teacher there is retiring after thirty years. Yes, I can start the School Psychologist program at Seattle U in winter quarter if I want. Yes, tuition discounts apply with regard to my current employment situation (a plus). Teasings.
I have decided to Rest..in whatever form this will take. I have already begun to plan for this. I don't know what is on the plate for my future. And as bad as it sounds, I don't care. I am showing up for what is required now. I am looking and finding joy in the usual places and some unusual ones. I am seriously considering letting Some Thing go that has been on my plate for the last several years and just thinking about it now makes me tired, anxious, sad, and more sad. Not joyful, not anticipatory, not excited, not giddy--as this thing should. I see more debt. I see stress. I see always never being enough, having enough, enough, enough, enough. I am pissed about this. I have been let down so many times during this journey that I am done with the disappointments. And there have been too many to count. Add to that what has been on my health plate and now job plate this past year or two, and..well, that is my picture to look at, ain't it?
I am looking at some of my village and admiring them for their commitments and actions: my friend, Sue, and the gentle, consistent, loving way she cares for her mom and her family and herself. my friend, Cathy, and her commitment to her creativity and to her family and to her life. my friend, Val, and her love of beautiful things and how to make beautiful things and how to create sanctuary in one's home. my sisters-commitments to their own families, to our family, we to each other, to seeking the best in the spirits of others, to showing up and being the backbone of life (it is true, girls, all girls--the world DOES revolve around us), my Star-Sisters-their trust in life again, in each other, in opening their home to a new dog, in taking life one step at a time, my friend, Candy, who is back in Africa and still doesn't know what her job is exactly, who is glad to have water today (after another week of living with none) and who says she is following the Wild Goose (Celtic word for the Holy Spirit--it was big in the consciousness of the faithful at Iona--I had forgotten that), my friend, Mary J.-who questions and lives the questions, who is experiencing the power and tenderness of self-trust for the first time, who is so comfortable to be with that we know our "camper/camping dance" now with no talk, with her commitment to her kitty and her care. my friend, Turi: who trusts the Universe and acts as if and it does in positive ways that speak to her Heart and Life..I could go on: book group, trusted work colleagues, dance friends, neighbors--and not all girls, but certainly a whole lot of 'em. I'm watching, taking cues, gleaning, mostly just watching right now.'Cause I don't have a clue. I don't really want one.
My plan is to lighten the load around this house so it would fit into an Rv (yes, for real)I don't need it. Don't want it. Hasn't brought me greater healing or joy or peace or curiosity or energy. It is working at work. I continue to shovel stuff into the proper receptacles as I uncover them.
And I plan to walk my dog. And renew.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger About Me said…

    I've managed to track down my Teacher Teacher friend - are you still interested in talking to her?

    XO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home