Mississippi Moments

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What a day! Managed to get through the first half-day with the new mix of 3/4 students and we accomplished some, organized some, tested the boundaries some, and enjoyed an introductory lesson of heiroglyphics--something new to all of us! Give them clay and it's about the same as shaving cream--you have their attention, interest, motivation, and enthusiasm...I just wish I could get my hands on a hippogryph!
We celebrated Mass as a faculty and enjoyed a fine luncheon. Team Harmony (my team teachers et moi) met after the food--not a great idea--as we spent the first ten minutes trying to decide if we were going to go as our version of Charlie's Angels for Back to School Night on Thursday or begin our presentation to the parents with our rendition of "We are Harmony"--think Sisters Sledge and disco-We-r-family...We did get down to discussing students, needs, our pet peeves, accommodations, and emergency "recovery" options...puttered around and didn't care too much...things still seem weird...rented Harry Potter 2 and 3. Fell asleeep during 2, started 3, had a snack, and am heading to bed. I signed up for a Nutrition class for women of a certain age. It's 5 weeks and just the basics. I hoping it will be way different than Overeaters Anonymous. I just want to go and hear someone else describe balance and food and how that works in the real world. I am without a doubt the healthiest I have ever been since giving my knees a break, teaching dance in a different, less jarring manner, paying attention to the impact carbs have on my moods, energy, and system, and finding ways to sweat just a bit but intensely 5-6 days a week without kiling myself or trying to "lose weight"...I just like the clearheadedness of it all and the fact that I intend to be around with energy to chase my 3 year old with all the other twenty somethings...

Magic happened today...no, I did not get a new puppy, but something wondrous just the same. I got a call from a parent of one of my students from 1991 in San Diego. I only had this beautiful little girl for one year, but the connection and impact from both ends were profound. This mom had saved my number from at least 10 years ago and was calling to let me know how thankful they were for the impact and influence I had on their only child. She just graduated from Dartmouth with a degree in physics and is going on for her graduate degree in the same field. Apparently, they can still hear and see the connection from being around me as a teacher. There was a lot of love in that call. I am grateful. Magic happens...it really does.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are magic happening, big sister. i am glad someone else can see it too! love you.

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Maude said…

    Wow, what a beautiful thing to have happen. You deserve it every day. Maude

     

Post a Comment

<< Home