Mississippi Moments

Saturday, June 09, 2007

"Sweet Baby Girl and a Hole in the Wall"
Guess what happens as soon as I make definitive plans to go for the doctorate and travel to Iona? Things start moving again,as perceptibly as can be...so official inclusion on another must list came yesterday("Official Waiting Family") I'll get my number soon...but what does the Universe care about numbers? I don't (most of the time).

So, Maude has one. I have one now. Not puppies. Holes in the wall. Cedar made one yesterday morning when I was off on my morning workout. AFTER he had had a long walk, a couple of rounds of Sheltie ball, and a frozen kong. All this with the cone of stupidity on. Which he was able to get off by the time Lydia arrived yesterday. He has not enjoyed coneness because it has meant that he can't run as much, play with his friends, and have his life. He made that real clear. And I discovered that there is a cable outlet in that room. Not bad. I called Lydia yesterday to see if she could come down yesterday. She did. He was so "wired" (her words) that she ended up taking him on her other dog rounds and then home to Camp Alice where it was cone off, RUN, DIG, PLAY, GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM....and 8 hours later, when I arrived, I had my dog back...and the chance for cable tv ( I destroyed the other ones when I moved in here 10 years ago so the temptation would remove itself).

I also believe that there is no such thing as a "normal" child. There are typical things kids do, say, are, and believe, but normal is a complete and total myth. Thank Heaven! I am convinced of more of the power of nurture and parental parameters than ever, esp. after watching all the dads yesterday in action at our Field Day. Kids and then a ton of just BIGGER kids who look us in the eye when we say "No" and then at each other and do it anyway
...and we wonder why we get such shit at school sometimes...well, no, we don't wonder actually....and I know I teach in a Mayberry microcasm...

And I love pandora.com. Thanks, Coli! All the time, music that I love, no commercials, a mix that I didn't pick so there are surprises, and mood matchers....
I'm tired. very tired. This end of the year has been sucking it. from me. Better days at school for the most part. Still trying not to gird up for what won't be coming but it is very hard. To not tighten up, not turn in, not tense for the heart tearing that comes at this time of year...

3 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow - even with the cone on? That's determination! Bindi's cone lasted a day. She looked so pathetic I took it off. Hope you have a great weekend. xoxo, maude

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you got it! when my idle mind takes over, i like to play "pandora 8 ball" and ask it questions only to be answered by its song choice...

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home