Mississippi Moments

Sunday, February 24, 2008

There is nothing like digging compost in your underwear (long underwear that is) with coffee, surrounded by flicker song and divebombing crowteens. There is nothing like shearing lavendar in the same surroundings with nothing but an old pair of kitchen scissors because they fit your hand just so even though you've tried other, fancier tools. Doing three loads of laundry and hanging them up to dry at the same time and all this before the sun is truly up. THis is Life. My Life. I have missed being able to sit outside with the sun caressing my face, reminding me that what is old and dead feeds what is ready to come to life, licking at whisps of warmth and hope. I love this time of year when we are all waking up again and learning that there is light, hope, community, meaningful work, and walks and talks for our hearts. There is a quieting of the monkey-mind parade. That's what this weekend has been. Cup of tea, out in the sun, with the last chapter of Eat, Pray, Love. And thinking on things.

It happens every year. And this year was different. I turned on the radio on the way home from dance in Monroe and guess who I heard-"Huckleberry" (Neil). He is always a guest on Ciscoe's show. And the usual crappy, angry, tight, not loving) thoughts stood up to have their say..and I invited them to dive right into the Pool of Forgiveness that is open 24/7 in my Heart where they join all the other thoughts and energies that need transformation and healing. And dove they did. And laugh I did. And the mini-me's of those same thoughts jumped up and I showed 'em the way in and told them they would love it so much in there they wouldn't need towels because they wouldn't be coming out and in just a bit they wouldn't even feel like their old-selves. Off they went. And hope I felt.

ANd I starteed thinking of this as I was driving home from teaching those sweet folks in Monroe and having been the vehicle/tool/means of another miracle...let me 'splain. I found this song called "Ordinary Miracle" by Sarah MacLachlan (sp?). I love it. The song that is. And the Truth of what an ordinary miracle is. And most of my Life is this. All of the time. Even when I forget--which has been A LOT lately and still is. Back to what happened in Monroe. I know it is only February and June seems a long time away, but for the reason that I know what it will take to get these dancers ready for some kind of a performance (to my standard), yesterday was the time to plant the seeds of glory. The kids-no problem. They're excited. Want to work harder. Love being able to put steps and such together to time and see the progress. The adults-whole different story. And this is why I love what I do---I take that part that is still alive in them and I awaken it with a small description and a choice---"Here is what is coming up...would you consider....will you trust me to help you create something beautiful. communal, and fun to share with others and the greater community (I want them to dance in August this year at the Monroe community festival whatever). There was some curiosity (that is the Inner Kid in them that got them to this class in the first place) and then a ton of distrust, and "I can't", "We couldn't"-yadayada-ya..whatever. So, I left it at that and said I would like to do the warm-up in a slightly different way and would they please just respond to my voice directions using what movements, steps that they have already learned well. Okay. That was fine with them. I discovered that Uncle Fuzzy and Wonderful put the Scolding Wives of Abertarff on a CD that I haven't given to Julie yet (BUT I WILL). So I plunked that on and asked them to begin to embrace the space (with clearer directions than the words I'm using now). THe movement reflected the sky in a Van Gogh painting called "Les Courbeaux' (The Blackbirds). The soft movements of dancers across the stage doing skips in a natural, unhurried but fluid manner. Then the tempo sharpens a bit as Alisdair begins to embellish the tongue action of those lovely wives and I directed the dancers to dance their regular beginning reel to the piece and the painting changed to more of a Manet (not Monet)- a little more linear, deeper more directed color (it's so much fun being a 4 not on drugs). Music is sharpening, quickening, tightening and so is their collective movement...and then because this music is an Old Friend, I knew when the drum set came and when it was time to break up the dancers into groups and steps....we did this 4 times in a row with a couple of variations and when they were all sucking air and ready for a break and ready to listen--I said"Well, that was your first performance piece...how did that feel?"...silence. Then laughter. Disbelief. Then more body smiles--and words like this"Well, that was fun." "Hey, I can do that." "That was beautiful." "That worked.""That was it?"" You mean, we could do that?""Then..."I like how we moved all over" "Maybe we could do this...?" And I smiled inside and thanked the Source for that Ordinary Miracle...... I laugh when I feel Jesus laughing with me and He takes my hand in His and says He will show me the Garden of Glory and Healing that is growing in Heaven which is Here, too. I was standing in it up to my Inner Eyeballs, kneedeep in that Cosmic Compost. It is amazing what happens when I step aside and let Wonder and Power Work. There are a couple of thoughts from Eat, Pray, Love that capture this better. Elizabeth writes,"
One instant, you're just a regular Joe, schlepping through through your mundane life, and then suddenly--what is this?--nothing has changed, yet you feel stirred by grace, swoleen with wonder, overflowing with bliss. Everything-nor no reason whatsoever--is perfect." (p. 197) The other is a description of her healer-friend, Wayan, and how she "works". "Wayan once told me that sometimes when she's healing her patients, she becomes an open pipeline for God's love, and she ceases even thinking about what needs to be done next. The intellect stops, the intuition rises and all she has to do is permit her God-ness to flow through her. She says it feels like a wind and takes my hands." (p. 273 Eat, Pray, Love). ...for me, it feels like silk and living color...and reflections of YES in the eyes of disbelievers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home