Mississippi Moments

Sunday, October 05, 2008


Walking Meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh

Take my hand.
We will walk.
We will only walk.
We will enjoy our walk.
Without thinking of arriving anywhere.
Walk peacefully.
Walk happily.
Our walk is a peace walk.
Our walk is a happiness walk.

Then we learn
that there is no peace walk;
that peace is the walk;
that there is no happiness walk;
that happiness is the walk.
We walk for ourselves.
We walk for everyone
always hand in hand.

Walk and touch peace every moment.
Walk and touch happiness every moment.
Each step brings a fresh breeze.
Each step makes a flower blooom under our feet.
Kiss the Earth with your feet.
Print on Earth your love and happiness.

Earth will be safe
when we feel in us enough safety.


Autumn beckons. Ladened morning air carried whiffs of apple-wood and fir fires. Some Ballard front porches sport bright orange and white twinkling lights, zombie posters, and glow-in-the-dark kid art. Cedar and I were all over the lower part of Phinney. I especially enjoy the contrast of deep red shrubberies against the evergreen ones. I enjoy seeing how folks are putting their gardens to bed for the winter. And how some are not. I have a fire going. Two rice casseroles are baking away in the oven. Potato rice soup is simmering on top. A peach-blueberry pie is in the queue. Three loads of laundry done. As many cups of coffee. Coli's "rough" tracks over and over in i-tunes. oh, I am so blessed. happy. grateful. alive. healthy. full of shit and non-direction. happy about that, too. Yesterday was a gentle enough day with its surprise blessings and healings. The funeral for Uncle Larry at St. Ben's was perfect. I must admit, it is balm to my soul and heart and miind to listen to Mary J. sing. And songs that I love. That I sing, too. Mary J. can see angels, but I wonder if she knows that she sings like one. I was approached by my cousin, Melissa, and thanked for the suggestions I made for her sweet daughter, Cat, earlier this summer about how Cat (a special needs learner) might have a more life-giving year of learning and growing and how Melissa and her partner might advocate for Cat in specific ways to bring that about. She has implemented several of the ideas and the success is reflected daily and consistently. Yay for Melissa. Yay for Cat. Yay for teaching-learning teams who listen and who pay attention TO THE CHILD. It is simple. Yay for me-willing to share what I KNOW. Yay for me wanting to do this for my OWN CHILDREN. The God-Box is full of new things.
Dance practice#1 for Yuletide and Astoria went well. Oh, we miss Maude and Coli. It is tough for me to not be attached to outcomes. So what. I'll get over it. I just want them there. In some way. In all ways. In THEIR WAYS. Yes, their ways. I don't believe in old, fat, or any of that crap. I believe in LOVE. I believe in Sisters. I believe in all that holds us together and what gives us courage to breathe and be our own persons. I continue to learn about the POWER of what we Believe.
Book Group was lovely, too. We read "The Importance of Being Ernest" by Oscar Wilde. I had to come home and do some research on old Oscar. What a conflicted soul. What a sad story. What creativity and power. What misplaced anger rage and disappointment (check out Queensbury). And it was Oscar who started the road to his own demise. Ego-shit. We enjoyed tea, talk, chocolate, and introductions to the newest members of Jean and Laura's household, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. It was quiet and nourishing. Right up to the politics talk. Then it's time for me to go. We are reading a book called "Zoe's Book". I had to do a little checking with this group and it is not bonafide TDN but an ATDN (almost trashy dike novel). Being the only straight member, I need to have a heads-up before getting into that particular genre. I don't like some kinds of surprises. In general, I don't like any. So what, I'll get over that, too.
Need to go check on my casseroles, hang up more laundry, and do some lesson plans. Then put the pie in. Bliss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home