Mississippi Moments

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Having a "Wind Day" off? and "Residing in my usual state of oblivion"-
two new-to-me phenomena. The past few days have been unusual to say the least and full.
Thursday brought a couple of things, one of which was the biggest wind and rain storm in the region's history...ever.
I knew something was wrong when it took me an hour to move less than 1/2 mile on Elliott trying to get up to dance class at HNA. Another 1/2 hour just to get to the foot of Queen Anne, I did a radical left and went up on the Hill for refuge and a cup of tea at Mom and Dad's. Instead of being greeted with smiles at the door, I was greeted by smiles at the door and Dad yelling "DON'T STEP ON THE CRACKS!" (I don't think he knew he was yelling.) I went into dancer mode and put my heels up and voila! I'm in. Why? They have a brand new wonderful just grouted tile floor and kitchen counter. It's loverly. I wonder what the new stove looks like...They won't let us play "Don't step on the cracks" game on the kitchen counter..)
No school on Friday. A surprise and a bummer. I like to work. I like it when things are on schedule. But I was glad for the students. They needed another day to be kids. I went down to the Tacoma Yuletide with Brigie driving and Coli in the back doing what she does-which is yell at Brigie alot and then Brigie yells back. It was a very enlightening time...and a good latte to boot. (Thanks, Coli.) The music was great, eclectic, and loud. So was the conversation. And Brigie hit her mark of getting us there just by 5. She rocks and that girl can "drive".
For me, Tacoma Yuletide had wonder, joy, ease, and unexpected gifts. I got to ride home with Loolie. That was the bomb. I did my own version of Brigie's 'Joy-dancing" in a couple of numbers or it could have been that I was just "residing in my usual state of oblivion"--purloined that phrase from Brigie.(Thanks Brigie).
I just found out that one of my bright, capable nephews is flunking his English class. I don't have much connection with him but I would like to offer my services if it would help. I don't think that is the problem from listening to the talk about it...no Raney should flunk an English class. No Raney should flunk any class (unless it's me and Map Reading 101 or 3rd year Calculus and I squeaked by with the help of a tutor and lots of after-class help from the prof...(this was in the days when after-class help from the prof usually meant just that.) Or maybe we should...and that,too, is part of what needs to be learned.
Now it's off to Seattle Yuletide. Still alot of folks without power. We are going to be in a world of hurt when "the Big One" hits...one of my reasons for wanting to move out of Seattle.
MY thoughts and prayers are with Mike, the dear big yellow dog. He will have surgery next week. My prayers are with him and his pack...
One more thought from Prayers for Healing Book:
"Grace strikes us when we are in great pain and restlessness.
It strikes us when we walk throught he dark valley of a meaningless and empty life.
It strikes us when our own disgust for our own being, our indifference, our weakness, our hostility, and our lack of direction and composure have become intolerable to us.
It strikes when, year after year, the longed-for perfection of life does not appear, when the old compulsions reign within us as they have for decades, when despair destroys all joy and courage. Somethimes at that moment, a wave of light breaks into our darkness, and it is as though a voice were saying:"You are accepted."--Paul Tillich

1 Comments:

  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger MihErn said…

    Amen to that! And there's more to come...see you soon. Much love, E-

     

Post a Comment

<< Home